You can construct a God altar for devotion, tribute, or guiding rites no matter what sacred or divine practice you ascertain with.
The 5 steps to create an altar are as follows;
- Construct a god or goddess altar
- Dedicate the altar to a religious body or person
- Construct an altar for others.
- Usage and Purpose
- Symbols of the Godly
5 Steps to Build a Wiccan God Altar (Guide)
To build a Wiccan altar please follow this step by step easy guide with images attached for your reference.
Step 1: Create a god or goddess altar
Some people prefer to set the altar based on specific themes, for example, a birthday celebration or a sabbat celebration or for all the family members.
Quick read: God Does Not Exist (True or False)
This altar rejoices the Godly feature of your faith system, whether you honour a lone god or a complete pantheon.
Below is the list of things which you must include while setting it up;
- Figures: Find a sculpture representing your deity.
- Colorful Candles: Match the colour of the candles with the god or goddess of your choice.
- Natural signs: Depending on your belief system add items to a bowl. An example could be putting water if you believe in sea god or putting tree leaves into the bowl if you believe in the true god.
- Handiworks: Devotes prefer to make crafts for their spiritual deities. Example of this could be making a maltese cross if you prefer fire. Also, add the set of prayers that you use for the ceremonies and rites.
- Donations: you may place a bowl, a plate or a cup on the altar to hold your offerings. Keep in mind that this works only if your deity accepts donations.
Before you start the altar setup make sure you clean the place properly, as per the guidelines and rules of your tradition and belief system.
Step 2: Dedicate the Altar to a Religious Body
Many religious bodies prefer to call the altars as shrines. Below are the steps to dedicate it to a religious body;
- Decide the Religious Figure: This is important to dedicate the God altar which may be either a deceased friend, any historical figure or your close relative. Many decide to dedicate it to multiple people such as a patron saint and a historical figure.
- Include Pictures or Icons: This applies to all the religions that allow images of the god. You need to place the image of the god nearby location of the altar.
- Include symbols or objects on the shrine: This helps you remind of the person being felicitated. This can be an AMU object related to their lives or any gift that you might have received from them.
- Use Candles: To light the memory of the person being honoured, place candles near the edges to lighten the god altar. This is a common spiritual ritual in many religious books and sacred places.
- Use Flowers: You may either place some flowers on the altar or may grow them in a pot at the altar’s base. This will ensure permanent decoration.
- Share Drinks and Food: Keep your deceased friend’s favorite food and drinks near the altar to please him. Once it is kept there for the meal duration, you can later share it with your friends or family.
- Add more Ritual objects: If the god altar belongs to a different religion than that of yours then place a religious symbol around the figure. You may also add other items of decoration based on his style and taste.
Step 3: Construct an altar for others
Different people make their god altars based on separate purposes. Therefore, to construct the altar for separate purposes keep the following points in mind;
- Decide the theme: If you belong to a particular religion then you must decor the place according to the theme and beliefs of the religion. Example: You can create the altar based on the 4 elements of nature i.e. fire, water, earth and air.
- Use a decorative cloth: To communicate the intent of the god altar, you may keep the surface clean and therefore make use of decorative cloth. A plain white cloth can bring focus and peace while a bright cloth can help raise your energy levels.
- Use texts for reading: If your religion has sacred texts then you might use it for inspiration. Otherwise, you may use a different poem or text from a religious book that you consider to be important. This will help you reach your emotional and spiritual state quickly.
- Use images for visualization: Various orthodox bodies often have symbols or icons of gods or goddesses while the non-religious people can think of some design or artwork that relates to the true purpose of the altar.
- Use ritual objects: Based on the traditions and beliefs of your religion, you might add certain objects like herbs, crystals or containers that will help you complete the rituals.
You might also add other decorative items like plants, pretty statuettes, or other decorations. Some prefer to keep the altar relatively bare.
Quick read: Hagstones in Magic
Other linked items that could go on your god altar include seashells, stuns, quills, partly burned wood, or whatsoever you think signifies or matches the elements.
Step 4: Usage and Purpose in God Altar
It is extremely important to understand the usage and purpose of creating a god altar. The below steps will help you achieve this easily;
- Decide your code of conduct: Making habits and adopting specific postures when you reach near the altar will help you create your code of conduct. You may lay down, stand still o bend your knees, whatever makes you feel attentive to the altar.
- Address by Prayers: This may not be any religious prayer or anything else. You may address the altar silently or by singing loudly, based on your comfort and decision. Many people pray to ask for healing, forgiveness and wisdom.
- Learn Meditation: Many people are not comfortable while praying and therefore you might consider learning the skill of meditation. While certain people consider meditation also a form of prayer only.
- Burn oil, candle or other offerings: This is considered as an offering to the divine power. Based on your beliefs you may decide an object to offer to the spiritual body.
This can be understood as a literal donation (accepted in the smoke), or as a figurative act to show you are eager to make a sacrifice.
Video: How To Make A God Altar At Home
It can also just be a ceremonial you use to love, without having to study its meaning.
Step 5: Symbols of the Godly
Here we have provided you with an exclusive list of ideas that you can use to honour various gods and goddesses on your altar.
- Bast: To honour the Egyptian deity of fertility, you can use the cat symbol. This may include feline statues, catnip flowers, or using a bowl of milk as offerings to Bast.
- Brighid: To honour the Celtic goddess of home and heart that is often related to fertility and fire, you can use eggs and milk as offerings. You can decorate the altar with symbols of Imbolc season or some corn doll or a Brighid’s cross. Add a stove or a green candle for some burning aspects.
- Cernunnos: To honour the Celtic legends or the wild god of forest adds a bundle of antler sheds or horns to your god altar. It is often represented by a stag, where you can use phallic symbols like a magical wand, broom or staff.
- Freya: To honour the goddess Norse related to the fertility or childbirth, you can make use of colorful candles, feathers or cups and chalices on the God altar.
- Isis: The ankh, the lotus, the colours of red and gold and the scarab beetle is represented by the Egyptian mother goddess. She is often represented by wings, so feel free to add some feathers to your god altar.
- Juno: Flowers particularly lotus and lily, peacock feathers and seashells are used to represent the Roman goddess of fecundity and marriage.
- Odin: The mighty king must be honoured by the symbols of power and strength. The king of the Norse gods can be honoured by ash tree branches, leaves and runes.
- Poseidon: God is well known as the ultimate mover of the planet. The greek god can be honoured with shells and a bowl of water, a 3 pronged tool or some form of a trident, symbols of horse and a mass of dirt to honour his role as a causer of earthquakes.
Video: God Incinerates The Altar
Many people you do not believe in traditions & religions often create a pagan god altar that offers a distinct site to consider queries in their life, grow what they have, or applaud themselves up.
We hope that this stepwise guide must have helped you achieve your goal. Don’t forget to share it with others who might also be looking for the same solutions.
People Also Ask (FAQs)
What does the Bible say about the altar?
In Hebrew מִזְבֵּחַ, mizbeaḥ or altar means a place of sacrifice or slaughter. These were typically made of stone or earth materials. (Exodus 20:24) and (20:25)
Are Christians allowed to make altars?
Many Christian churches and Eastern Orthodoxy, of the Methodists, Lutherans, Anglican Communion etc. branches have given a prominent place to making god altars in the religion.
What is a Wiccan God Altar?
A Wiccan altar is a raised structure to pray or worship God. Different Wiccan believers place certain symbolic and functional items for adoring various god and goddess altars, casting spells and chanting prayers.